As my kiddos start to have improved balance and are no longer falling as they walk over uneven surfaces and steps, my next step is to challenge their balance more by having them work on keeping their bodies steadier as they navigate uneven surfaces.
I help my kiddos become more aware of their bodies by making them carry objects as they navigate uneven surfaces and steps.
Ways you can further challenge standing balance with walking from easiest to hardest:
- carry a small light object in each hand- such as toy cars or blocks
- carry a larger light object in each hand- such as a stuffed animal or medium-sized toy
- carry heavier-larger object in each hand- such as a book or water bottle
- carry a light object that requires the use of 2 hands- such as a balloon or light ball like a large O-ball
- bringing arms to the middle is more challenging than when one’s arms are out to the side
- carry a heavier object that requires the use of 2 hands
- carrying an object in 1 hand that requires steadying of that hand
- for this I use the Let’s Go Fishing game or a magnet puzzle fishing game as shown in the pictures below
- this really requires having a steady body and arms and is also a fun challenge for my kiddos who have already mastered the above balance activities.